As the colder weather draws near, we start to think about servicing our vehicles ahead of the frost and ice. One of the things as motorists we must ensure we do is to top up our antifreeze. However many of us are not aware that antifreeze can be extremely harmful to our pets. The following information is taken from the RSPCA website: (http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/cats/health/poisoning/antifreeze)
Most people are unaware of the hidden dangers to pets from antifreeze poisoning.
Unfortunately many animals find the taste of antifreeze very attractive, and ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death, especially in cats.
Accidental poisonings due to spills and leaks from containers, as well as leaking water coolant from cars happen every year and result in the death of pets. However if you make regular checks of your car to ensure it is not leaking water coolant, and take care when storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant from cars, most accidental deaths can be avoided.
If you suspect antifreeze poisoning
There are times however, no matter how careful you are, when accidents can still happen. If you suspect your pet has come into contact with antifreeze, leaked water coolant or if they show any of the following signs get them to a vetimmediately:
Signs of antifreeze poisoning can start to show as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.
The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.
If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause animals pain, suffering and distress, and will lead to the death of your pet.
At Dukes AutoTech we take the use and disposal of Antifreeze very seriously.If you are in any doubtor are worried about topping up your antifreeze, why not enquire about a winter health check for your car? This is a kind of mini service that includes topping your vehicle up with antifreeze. We can do this at really competitive rates and this will also give you complete peace of mind that there is minimal risk to your pet.